This is the master list of little Chinwag-related jobs I have on my to-do list. I'm posting it publicly here in case someone should stumble over it and go "oh that's easy" and offer to do it. Post here if you resemble that remark, or have any other comments to make on the list.
- Migrate the chinwag.org web site to a static generator like Hugo. I've actually done this as a proof of concept, but I need to find a theme I like and get the actual workflow to update it sorted out so I feel like it's maintainable for me.
- Related to the above, make a better landing page that directs to the various services in a user-friendly manner. This could get tricky with differentiating things like social.chinwag.org and chinwag.im which just call themselves "Chinwag" in various places.
- Do some actual "marketing" for lack of a better word. I don't use any other social media platforms so I have no idea how to tell people I run this one. I'd kinda like it to grow.
- Write up pages for a definitive recommended client app for each service and platform, rather than general instructions in the hope someone will figure it out. Consider forking, for example, Conversations to provide a domain-locked and minimal configuration path to just getting your Chinwag account online as easily as possible for non-technical users. Snikket project may have some stuff worth looking at here.
- A grand unified terms of service should exist for all services
- Modify the Chinwag Social fork of Mastodon to expose some of the minor changes as preferences, and add option to activate/deactivate XMPP account and purge messaging data without affecting Mastodon posts.
- Deffo needs a lot of work, but given the current situation I'm not prioritising a meetup-related service.
- Deffo Meet on the other hand needs work and it's worth doing. The Jitsi packages are pretty hard to upgrade if you've made any kind of customisation. Might be worth doing a full local build from source and merging changes to a fork.
- Related to the above - would be great to use ejabberd instead of Prosody on Meet, as it'd allow me to run a full copy of the environment for Chinwag Social on the same machine which I'd like to do.
- chinwag.im needs an account management page, probably combined with account registration that allows linking of an email address (but shouldn't require it) for password resets. This needs to be responsive and simple enough to work on mobile to support signing up directly within Conversations.
This list is not fixed or complete at any point in time.